A couple of weeks ago, I decided to make brunch for my sister and a close friend of hers. I really wanted to make chicken and waffles. Basically, I made it all about me being that I am 8 months pregnant. If I cook, I have to be able to enjoy it as well.
I do enjoy a twist on a waffle from time to time. Every brunch spot serves Chicken and waffles and it’s usually your basic waffle.
I chose to test out a recipe that’s been brewing in my head for sometime: Honey Cornmeal waffles with Jalapenos. The corn meal would provide crunch, Jalapenos would pack the heat and the honey would give it that touch of sweetness.
Fancy fried chicken? No thanks! Crispy, juicy and well seasoned. Stay tuned for that recipe on my blog.
Honey Cornmeal and Jalapeno Waffles
Yield: 6-8 waffles
1 ¾ cups buttermilk
½ cup of creamed corn
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup Honey
1 ½ cups Cake Flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 Jalapeño, de-seeded and diced*
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, creamed corn and honey.
2. In a separate bowl, blend together the dry ingredients, then quickly and gently combine the wet and dry ingredients stirring in the diced jalapeno last.
3. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes, to allow the cornmeal to soften.
4. Spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray or brush with butter. Drop the batter by 1/3-cupfuls onto a hot waffle iron, and bake until the waffle iron stops steaming.
* I sauté my Jalapenos in a little butter to release the oils and add it to my mix from time to time. It’s awesome!