I was excited when I was asked to create a recipe using JetBlue airlines official snack Terra Blues Potato Chips by fellow blogger, Ms. Love Jonesy of The Bliss List. I jumped at the opportunity to get my creative juices flowing using these insanely tasty and vibrant blue colored chips. Behold! Terra Blue Chip crusted Baked Chicken Fingers.So often when flying with JetBlue, I look forward to snacking on a bag of Terra Blue Chips. Even more exciting than creating this recipe was the news that JetBlue opened a farm at Terminal 5 adding sustainability to the list of everything great about this airline.
The farm opened last October and is here to stay growing the same blue potatoes used to make Terra Blue Potato Chips! Their main goal is to promote urban agriculture, and supply local schoolchildren with a living laboratory to learn about healthy food. Another cool fact I learned was that they give their employees free produce!
I am all to familiar with showing kids and their families about locally grown foods being a healthy food educator and chef with Wellness in the Schools. We always use recipes that contain very little ingredients, that are tasty and easy to make as a family.
I kept this in mind while creating this recipe. I had to make something that my very picky 2 year old to be would enjoy and was pretty easy to make being that i’m a working mom. I knew that if I could get him to eat my creation, everyone would love it.
Kids love Chicken Nuggets so creating a healthier alternative using these crispy, gorgeous blue jewel toned potatoes was a must. Making these Baked Chicken Fingers instead offrying cuts calories but is big on flavor!
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon Paprika
½ teaspoon Coriander
2 large eggs, separated
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Cup of Flour
5 oz Terra Blue Chips, finely crushed
2 Tablespoons olive oil or Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken breast on cutting board and cover with large layer of plastic wrap. Using a small pan, pound the chicken breast to an even 1/2-inch thickness. Cutting lengthwise, slice chicken breasts into uniform ½ inch-wide strips. Set aside.
- In a large ziplock bag, add Terra Blues. Squeeze out as much air as possible and then seal bag. Using the bottom of a pan or a rolling pin, roll over Chips, crushing into small pieces for coating chicken.
- In a large shallow dish, mix flour with garlic powder, salt, black pepper, coriander and paprika until thoroughly combined. In another deep dish, whisk together egg whites and milk.
- Using a few teaspoons of olive oil, evenly coat a large baking sheet. Working with about 4 chicken “fries” at a time, dip chicken into seasoned flour then into the egg mixture, shaking off excess, then coat with the crushed Terra Blue Chips, pressing mixture to help them adhere to chicken.
- Place coated chicken strips on greased baking sheet, leaving about ½ an inch of space between each strip.
- Bake chicken tenders for about 8 minutes, and then flip over onto the other side and bake for another 5-7 minutes (for a total cooking time of 13 to 15 minutes) until crisp, and cooked through.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as my growing toddler did. How would you incorporate Terra Blues into your meal or snack?